Our parish is named after Saint Rose of Lima, the virgin born in Lima, Peru April 20th, 1586. At her confirmation in 1597, she took the name of Rose, because, as a child, her face had been transformed by a mystical rose. As a child she was remarkable in her great reverence and love for all things relating to God, which resulted in her giving her life to Him in prayer and mortification. Many miracles followed her death.
She was beatified by Clement IX, in 1667, and canonized in 1671 by Clement X, the first American to be so honored. Her feast is celebrated August 23rd. She is represented wearing a crown of roses.
The present Church was completed and dedicated in 1961, followed by the baptistry and bell tower a few years later.
St. Rose of Lima Parochial School first opened its doors in the fall of 1951. During that summer more than 400 children of grades 1-6 were registered. The Adrian Dominican Sisters were appointed to staff the school. In 1981, the Sisters of the Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary were invited to lead the school. This began another ten-year period of growth marked by the leadership of Sister Anne Bernard (Sr. Margaret Gradl), IHM.
Our late Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, declared the year 2005 the Year of the Eucharist. It was in this spirit the Pastor and Pastoral Council decided to remodel the church. Renovations included tile for the floors of the Church, a new organ, sound system, and the remodeling of the Church Sanctuary, in marble. We know that Jesus has His home in everyone of us – but there is also His Eucharistic Presence, Jesus living in our Church and inviting us to come to Him. The parishioners of St. Rose have provided a beautiful home for Him to dwell among us.